Many times we think that people in your neighborhood have problems, but Looka Here, Nothing is worth setting your child on fire. the whole Daggering and Peter King thing is set off by Wha ? it’s just that elementary,
Ya Ova ?
Dwayne Mcleod, JA Star Staff Reporter
In what can be considered a case of extreme punishment, an eight-year-old boy was doused with gasolene and set afire because he lost a foot of his school shoes.
The Kingston West police say the child is now in hospital and nursing third-degree burns to over 40 per cent of his body.
“Yu nuh hear ’bout it? My gosh if yu eva si di likkle bway yu cry,”
a policewoman remarked to her colleague when THE WEEKEND STAR called the Trench Town Police Station and inquired about the incident yesterday.
The child’s father was on Wednesday slapped with a charge of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and will appear in court on Monday.
Police say the child wore his regular pair of shoes to school on Tuesday. He, however, carried another pair with him, which he is said to have put on when he arrived at school.
When he returned home about 4 p.m., he realised that one foot from the pair of school shoes was missing.
The police say that the boy’s father tried to reprimand his son by lighting a circle of fire, which he made by pouring gasolene around his son before igniting the substance.
It is further reported that the child ran but was ordered by his father to return to the fiery circle. The child complied but then tried to run again.
The father, it is alleged, then threw the gasolene at the running child.
This caused a huge burst of flames, which lit up the infant. He was taken to hospital where he is being treated.
Word of the incident has left residents commenting about the incident.
“Di likkle yute scarred fi life star, a eediat ting dat all because di yute lose him school shoes. Everybody ’bout ya vex, wi nah lie,” said 25-year-old Kevin Hendricks.
“School shoes can always buy back eno. Wi only hope seh him nuh scar up too much still, ’cause dat can have a negative impact pon him future still,” another resident added.
23 workers crammed in shabby house in Trinidad
What was supposed to be a rewarding job experience for at least three Jamaicans turned out to be a nightmare for them in Laventille, Trinidad, last month.
The three men who contacted The Star recently relayed the story of how they got a ‘link’ with someone who said she could get them to legally work and provide proper housing in the republic for them.
However, this was never the case. “The living condition was hell, not even yuh pig dem yuh woulda mek go through dat,” Khris Breezy* said in his short description of the house. “Before I run come home last month is bout 23 Jamaicans did live inna de shabby house wha de lady put wi inna.
All eight men affi sleep inna one room. Yuh waan see de bed dem, my yute, like a dem nail up some bunk bed like de one wha u see a de prison dem. Man all sleep pon floor more while. De 23 a wi affi use one bathroom, so yuh know how dat go. And de bathroom not even did ave no door, so more while people jus walk in pon yuh.”
Another man, Drank Rowe, shared a similar experience. “That must be the worst part of Trinidad the lady took us to live. It was in East Dry River, Port-of-Spain,” he recalled. “All in broad daylight yuh see man a walk wid kerchief over face, brandishing guns.”
Breezy told The Star that it cost him well over $90,000 to make the trip. He said he was given the job without even doing an interview and was taken to a man who told him to report the next day for the night shift. He was in for a rude awakening. He heard about “1,000 gunshots” while on duty and did not even have a knife to protect himself or the property.
The job was also paying far less than what he was promised, so he and others packed up and came back to Jamaica, counting it as a loss.
When The Star contacted the ‘agent’ in Jamaica who reportedly collected the money from the men and sent it to the ‘superior’ in Trinidad, she said that she was only helping out. She said she was collecting the money and sending it to the ‘superior’ because a friend in Trinidad asked the favour of her. “I didn’t know what was going on. Is the man dem come back and a tell mi what happened,” she said.
Attempts to get in contact with the lady in Trinidad who allegedly runs the programme were unsuccessful as the calls went to voicemail. A voice message was left but no response has been received.
The Jamaican High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago said while they have received a similar complaint from some Jamaicans who were in the island on a work programme, they needed to investigate further to determine if it was the same group. The commission said the East Dry River, Port-of-Spain, address of the house, as was mentioned to The Star, was not in keeping with the reports they had previously received.
The commission said it would look into the matter and provide a later update.
*Names changed upon request
BARBARA GAYLE, JA Star Staff Reporter
There was much laughter in court yesterday when 25-year-old Sheldon Pusey responded to suggestions put to him that he was not speaking the truth in relation to how 64-year-old Ambassador Peter King was fatally stabbed and chopped.
“I am suggesting to you that you are telling this court a tissue of lies,” prosecutor Caroline Hay said to Pusey during cross-examination. “I am telling this court a tissue of truths,” Pusey responded.
Pusey said it was the investigating officer Superintendent McArthur Sutherland who told him how King had been attacked.
When he was asked if he wanted the jury to believe that Sutherland told him how the attack went, Pusey replied, “my answer is Sutherland told me what I did that night.”
Pusey said he did not use a sheet to cover King after he had stabbed him. He said it was Sutherland who told him that he (Pusey) had covered King with a sheet and that was the reason he said so in the interview on March 6, 2007.
Pusey has been on trial in the Home Circuit Court since January 19 for King’s murder. King was stabbed and chopped at his home at 11A Waterloo Road between March 19 and 20, 2006.
Pusey said in his defence last week Friday that King was forcing him to be intimate with him and he took a knife, which was in a cup on a bedside table, and stabbed him.
In responding to suggestions put to him, Pusey said he had not known that King was gay. He denied the suggestion that he went to the house to have sex with King and to kill him. He also denied taking a weapon with him to King’s house on the evening of March 19, 2006.
Pusey said he was not a homosexual and denied the suggestion that he was bisexual.
He said he heard the government analyst saying in court that semen was on King’s pubic and anal hairs and semen was on the floor near to where King’s body was found in the room. When it was suggested to Pusey that he was engaged in some sexual activity with King that night, Pusey said “no ma’am.”
Pusey said he was also called Blondy Pryce. When asked if the boys in St Mary called him Blondy Pryce, he said it was only the boys in St Andrew who called him that name. He said he did not know that there was a female singer called Blondie. He said he went to St Mary after the incident to visit his baby’s mother.
It was suggested to Pusey that he killed King in cold blood but Pusey denied the suggestion. In response to the question “and up to until today you have no remorse for your action?” Pusey responded: “the only remorse I have is to go there on March 19, 2006.”
BARBARA GAYLE, JA Star Staff Reporter
The man who is charged with the murder of 64-year-old Ambassador Peter King took the decision yesterday to give his defence on oath from the witness stand, where he will face thorough cross-examination.
Sheldon Pusey, 25, has been on trial in the Home Circuit Court since January 19 for the murder.
King was fatally stabbed and chopped at his house between March 19 and 20, 2006.
Pusey said in his defence yesterday that sometime after 6 p.m. on March 19, 2006, he went to King’s house about a job. He said it was a man called ‘Rupie’ who sent him for the job.
Pusey said he was a carpenter, but because he suffered from sickle-cell disease, he had given up the trade, because it was too strenuous, and worked as a waiter at Strawberry Hill Hotel, St Andrew.
He was at King’s house for about four hours when he told King it was getting late and he had to leave.
King insisted that he stay the night and gave him a meal and an alcoholic drink. After he had the drink, Pusey said he felt dizzy, as if he was going to faint.
He told King he had to go home. King began dragging him to a room and kept telling him that he should lie down.
Pusey said King began stroking him – his face, chest and shoulders. The accused said he pushed King away as King began to take off his (Pusey’s ) clothes. He said at that time, King was naked. Pusey said he tried to fight King, but he could not manage King because of King’s size. He said while they were wrestling, he managed to get something from a cup holder and stabbed King.
Pusey said he was also injured during the incident. King eased off and he said he jumped over the balcony, jumped over the fence and left the premises. He said he went to his mother’s house where he burned the clothes he had been wearing. He then left for Mango Valley, St Mary, where he remained until he was arrested in March 2007.
When cross-examined by Caroline Hay, deputy director of public prosecutions, Pusey said he also answered to the names ‘Brown Man’, Anthony Blake, AB and Blond Pryce. He said women had given him the names. Asked if he had many girls, he replied “not right now”.
He said he did not know if Rupie was gay and that he understood the word gay to mean men having sex with men. He said it was Rupie who had sent him to King about the job and the last time he saw Rupie was on March 19, 2006, when Rupie showed him where King lived.
By – Sadeke Brooks, JA Star Staff Reporter
Prime Minister Bruce Golding.
Renegade of dancehall duo RDX said he is dissatisfied following Friday’s meeting with Prime Minister Bruce Golding on the recent ban placed on songs and music videos alluding to daggerin’.
However, Spice, whose controversial song with Vybz Kartel, Rampin’ Shop, is at the centre of the ban, said it was a move in the right direction.
What is Daggering and What is 100 Stab
The Broadcasting Commission two Friday’s ago placed a ban on the word daggerin’, images of the daggerin’ dance and songs that have to be edited for radio and television. The commission also said the ban applies to all genres of music.
On Friday, the prime minister invited music insiders to Jamaica House to look at what could be done to clean up the content of dancehall music while maintaining the artistes’ freedom of expression.
RDX – Daggering
However, Renegade was not pleased after leaving the meeting.
“Dem done mek up dem mind already. Dancehall was not represented properly, it was just RDX and Spice. Come een like wi did just a talk up against a wall,” Renegade told THE STAR.
Speech and expression
“Mi nuh have nothing else fi seh. Wi (RDX) just ago move forward and continue creating music. Wi nah go mek dem stop wi freedom of speech and expression.”
Spice said she was glad for the opportunity to voice her concerns and that the meeting was held.
Kartel and Spice – Rampin Shop
“I saw the ministers writing and taking notes. I don’t know if our words will go in vain. The fact that they set up the meeting to hear our views, I have to applaud them for that. I want them to take into consideration everything that we have said,” she stated.
Spice, however, believes a meeting with the music industry stakeholders prior to the ban would have been more effective.
“It was a hasty decision and if they had this meeting before they would be better able to understand where everybody is coming from,” Spice said.
Likewise, Big Yard’s CEO and Shaggy’s manager, Robert Livingston, thinks the meeting served a real purpose.
“It was very effective because everyone voiced how we could reach a solution.
The prime minister understood the whole thing. Everyone seems to have a clear picture of what needs to be done,” said Livingston.
Mr Golding said while he was interested in hearing the artistes’ concerns, he was backing the Broadcasting Commission and that the commission has the law on its side.
Issue of enforcement
“Part of our problem is the issue of enforcement. I am prepared to go all the way in enforcing these laws. If it’s the mini-bus operator or the radio stations who must lose their licenses, I am prepared to go all the way to enforce the laws,” Mr Golding said.
Also at the meeting were Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange, minister of information, culture, youth and sports, Education Minister Andrew Holness, members of the Broadcasting Commission, Mutabaruka, Queen Ifrica and Ardenne High School’s principal, Esther Tyson, whose article in The Gleaner about Rampin’ Shop’s lyrics sparked the public debate.
Deejay Spice File Photos
Sadeke Brooks, JA Star Staff Reporter
Deidra and Francois chilling in their matching tops at one of FAME FM’s road parties. – Contributed photos
Little over a week has passed since the ban of all songs with the word ‘daggerin’ and those which require bleeps and already, stations have been affected.
However, the effects of the ban, which was announced by the Broadcasting Commission on February 6, are varied.
The musical catalogue of Irie FM disc jock Errol ‘Smurf’ Stewart has felt the impact.
“It affects around 60 to 70 per cent of the dancehall music and half of that is not violence or daggerin’ songs. It don’t affect the lovers rock and reggae part,” said DJ Smurf who has a programme on Irie Fm called Night Beat/ Outaroad Mondays.
Since songs which require editing cannot be played, he is unable to play popular songs like Jr Gong’s Welcome To Jamrock and Buju Banton’s Driver.
Smurf said many songs are edited because they have a word which the producer believes is not appropriate for the air, but the song is not necessarily violent or sexually explicit. Others, he says, may contain a word like ‘jook’, ‘damn’ or ‘slam’ and as a result, require editing.
“You have some positive songs that require bleeping and editing for various reasons. A man might seh ‘put down the AK 47′ and the producer edit out AK 47 just to be on the safe side, but the song is still positive,” DJ Smurf told THE STAR.
However, he believes the Broadcasting Commission could have used a bit more discretion by saying, “if the song has a positive message and no excessive editing is required, it should be allowed to play.”
Luckily, Smurf says his listenership has not decreased since the measures were put in place. He says some of his listeners have no problem with the ‘daggerin’ songs being banned, as they believe some of them should not have been on air in the first place.
Jazzy T (left) and D’Adra Williams
Although the measures were laid down abruptly, D’Adra Williams,Zip FM’s station manager, said the station had not been seriously affected.
“When it just came out, we had a problem going through the library and going through all the songs, but we are getting accustomed to it now,” said Williams.
“We have had to pull 40 per cent of songs from our playlist. We pulled right across the board: hip hop, dancehall, R&B, rock, alternative and soca.”
Playing it safe
Williams said many songs were pulled in order to be on the safe side.
Likewise, Francois St Juste, general manager for radio at the RJR Communications Group (comprising FAME FM, Hitz 92 FM and RJR), said he did not believe the radio stations would be heavily affected.
“I doubt that the ban of daggering songs will affect radio in any way as there are a number of other songs that can be played. If songs are too sexual they should not be played on radio in the first place,” St Juste told THE STAR.
Similarly, he does not think there will be any problems with the station’s listenership or advertising revenue as a result.
“I don’t think it will affect advertising. It may affect listenership, because people who want to hear certain types of songs will go elsewhere and get it,” said St Juste.
But he said some clarity was still needed about the use of bleeps.
“What do they mean by bleeps and beeps? There are many ways to edit songs. We can put in effects or use silencers. There are many things that can be used to edit but we are not clear about the guidelines,” he told THE STAR.
Williams said she, too, would have preferred if the guidelines were less vague and radio stations given more time to get accustomed to the new policy.